We were dining with Mother Scamper the other night and we had a super acidic appetizer. She immediately ordered a cucumber salad. We had no idea what she was up to. When she finished her salad, she said, “That takes care of that” At that point, we gave her a look. Then she explained.
If you eat cucumber with the skin on, it neutralizes the acid in other foods. Which translates to avoiding indigestion.
The skin is the important part. If you peel it, you just have flavored water. If you see a recipe that says peel the cucumber, don’t.
Cucumbers are also good for your brain. They reduce both swelling and pain. Swelling of the brain has been liked to Alzheimer’s and there are studies to suggest that cucumbers may offer some protection. Swelling and irritation in the stomach and digestive tract has been associated with cancer too. Cucumber is helpful on that front as well.
They are also useful in reducing both blood pressure and weight.
If you’re eyes are puffy, recline with a cucumber disc on each eye and they should look better soon. About 20 min.
There are countless other benefits. These are just the highlights
*Buy organic cucumbers. We never make a big deal about organic. This is different. Cucumbers absorb everything in the soil and can have some really nasty stuff in them if they aren’t organic
- 2 cucumbers quartered and chopped in to chunks
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2-3 Tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine. It’s near the soy sauce in the supermarket)
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds. Optional
- Toss the cucumber in the other ingredients
- It’s even better if you refrigerate it for an hour or two.
- 1 large, ripe honeydew melon cut into chunks
- 2 cucumbers roughly chopped with a few slices for garnish
- 2-3 tsp curry powder
- Sparkling water
- Purée the melon in a food processor
- Add the cucumber but leave a few slices for the glasses
- add the curry
- Purée the whole thing
- When it’s cold, mix it up
- Pour into glasses about 1/2 way full
- Add sparkling water
- Adjust the ratio of purée to suit your taste.
- 1 pint thick Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber grated and salted. Leave it on some paper towels to eliminate excess water 5-10 min
- 3 cloves of garlic. Minced
- 1/4 c olive oil
- Some people add a dash of vinegar and/ or fresh dill.
- Use a food processor on pulse so you don’t liquify it
- Add the cucumber, garlic and yogurt first and then pour the oil in slowly from the opening at the top
- Don’t over process you want smooth and creamy. Not liquid.
- * if you like it with more texture , just chop ,mix and stir
- Refrigerate for an hour or two, stir and serve
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
Enjoy your cucumbers.